Today is the International Day Against DRM!
We couldn't be more excited about what's happening today on the Web and around the world. Organizations, nonprofits, and companies have stepped up to take action, sharing their work to make the world DRM-free.
IDAD around the Web
- April did a special on DRM in it's monthly radio show "Libre à vous!" on radio cause-commune.fm. Podcast and transcription of the show are available.
- Creative Commons shared what DRM means for the commons with "DRM is here and it still sucks."
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation gave us "Hill-Climbing Our Way to Defeating DRM," by Cory Doctorow.
- Eric Hellman, from the Free Ebook Foundation and Unglue.it wrote about DRM and the blockchain.
- iFixIt released "Take A Stand Against DRM!!!" on YouTube.
- LeanPub authors offered discounts on DRM-free books.
- Lektu published translations of anti-DRM materials.
- Libreture permanently doubled its gratis account size, allowing users to store up to 500MB of DRM-free e-books.
- Manning Publishing offered a deal through September 20th -- 40% off using the code IDAD40.
- No Starch Press offered a discount using the code RIGHT2READ40 for 40% off DRM-free reading materials.
- Open Rights Group published "Digital Handcuffs: How DRM disempowers consumers," by Javier Ruiz Diaz and Slavka Bielikova.
- Public Knowledge published "It's Always DRM's Fault," by John Bergmayer.
- TorrentFreak published International Day Against DRM Celebrates its 12th Anniversary.
What you can do
There are so many things you can do today, and below we're listing just a few:
- You can challenge yourself to a Day Without DRM.
- Share on social media using the hashtag #IDAD.
- Share with your friends, family, and followers online about the dangers of DRM, helping them to make better choices.
- Blog about DRM today.
- Wear your favorite anti-DRM shirt and share a photo using the hashtag #IDAD.
- Organize an event in your community. You can host events like handing out flyers about the dangers of DRM or host a showing of a DRM-free film. You can check out our new DRM-free Living flyer, made specifically for this year's IDAD.
- Keep up with IDAD! All future updates will go to our DRM Elimination Crew mailing list. Sign up for the mailing list on DefectiveByDesign.org to receive important IDAD news.