Welcome to the guide to living DRM-free. Please submit corrections and new items for the guide by adding it to the LibrePlanet wiki (you will need to register and login first) or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VLC media player is a DRM-free video player for Windows, Mac and GNU Linux, capable of DVD playback and streaming video. It even lets you skip over those annoying ads at the beginning of DVDs.
- Miro is a DRM-free platform for watching streaming internet video. They write: "We're developing the Miro internet TV platform so that watching internet video channels will be as easy as watching TV and broadcasting a channel will be open to everyone. Unlike traditional TV, everyone will have a voice."
Archives, Libraries, and Community Platforms
- Archive.org Moving image archive has a huge collection of classic and recent movies and videos.
- ClearBits bit-torrent distribution of freely licensed movies.
- Miro Guide is a catalogue of podcasts and video feeds.
- Vimeo On Demand sells DRM-free videos, though the rental videos may include DRM.
- Vodo is a bit-torrent based distribution platform.
- Wikimedia Commons is the media hosting platform for Wikipedia and uses entirely free formats.
Courseware, lectures, and educational
- Academic Earth offers a comprehensive collection of free online courses from the world's top universities.
- CK-12 creates and aggregates high quality, curated STEM content.
- Coursera is an education company that partners with the top universities and organizations in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, at no cost.
- eduCanon seeks to improve student outcomes in disadvantaged communities and beyond by harnessing the potential of technology.
- edX is a non-profit created by founding partners Harvard and MIT offering MOOCs and interactive online classes in subjects including law, history, science, engineering, business, social sciences, computer science, public health, and artificial intelligence (AI).
- Harvard Open Courses are courses made available by Harvard Extension School's Open Learning Initiative.
- Khan Academy is not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a no-cost world-class education to anyone anywhere. All of the site's resources are available to anyone. It doesn't matter if you are a student, teacher, home-schooler, principal, adult returning to the classroom after 20 years, or a friendly alien just trying to get a leg up in earthly biology.
- The OpenCourseWare Consortium is a group of universities including MIT, John Hopkins, Tufts, and UC Berkeley, that publish course materials online. You can search through courses using the advanced search, semantic course search, search by language, or search by source.
- Open Learning Initiative, by Carnegie Mellon University, offers online courses to anyone who wants to learn or teach.
- Open Yale Courses provides access to a selection of introductory courses taught by distinguished teachers and scholars at Yale University. The aim of the project is to expand access to educational materials for all who wish to learn.
- TED-Ed's videos aim to capture and amplify the voices of the world's greatest educators.
- theLearnia is a social educational network that allows millions of online students around the world to gain equal opportunity for education, learn while communicating together and share their knowledge.
- Udacity's mission is to bring accessible, affordable, engaging, and highly effective higher education to the world.
- University of the People is the world's first non-profit, degree-granting, tuition-free online university dedicated to opening the gates to higher education for all individuals otherwise constrained.
- Xiph.org's Video Lessons are a series of self-produced videos to spread techie-level knowledge about digital media as well as our own work involving new media research.
- Aziz Ansari, Dangerously Delicious.
- Go Faster Stripe sells downloads of Richard Herring, Stewart Lee, Simon Munnery and more
- Jim Gaffigan, Mr Universe.
- LOL Flix offers $5 per stand-up comedy set, downloadable to multiple devices, DRM-free!
- Louis CK, Live at the Beacon Theater.
Movies and Videos
- Lo Noche del Hombre Lobo (Night of the Warewolf) TV plays DRM-free music videos, short films and animations.