"If consumers even know there's a DRM, what it is, and how it works, we've already failed" - Disney Executive.
Defeating DRM is all about awareness. The direct actions that we take are all about this. On October 3rd we launched a world wide day of awareness about DRM, and now everyday is a Day Against DRM. Let the people around you know that DRM is bad for our culture and society. Let's create space for the debate. Do we want handcuffs and locks on art and knowledge?
As our friends at Disney recognize, if we have this debate, we will have won.
Work your way through these actions (some or all) and spread the word that DRM is Defective By Design. Your target is to get the word out to at least 100 people today, and ask them to do the same. It is easier than you think. Just look at the ideas below and see that you can have some fun and have an impact on the future story of DRM.
- Email your friends and family, use our prepared text. If you don't tell them who will?
- Sign the Bono petition and ask your friends to so the same. We are getting ready to get his answer.
- Add this text to your email signature every email you send will help raise awareness.
- Post on a forum or message board that you subscribe to and make people aware of your stance against DRM.
- Download and print this sign Put it on a notice board, hang it at your desk, the office water cooler, or in an elevator.
- Download and print this leaflet and give it to coworkers or put a copy on their desks, maybe even distribute them on your lunch hour or during your commute. Or hand out a copy at class.
- Google bomb DRM by adding this link to your website or any web page you can edit.
- Digg the day of action
- Watch an anti-DRM video, and send the link to your friends to watch.
- Photograph your actions and post them to Flickr tagged with "dayagainst drm defectivebydesign".
For more ideas of actions you can take, visit our list of actions